Gate Safety in the European market
Over the coming months, Dimension Engineering will be available to carry out detailed inspections on all types of industrial gates to existing customers. In the following articles released by the HSE, clearly details all the new requirements regarding gate safety in order to be compliant with the current Machinery Directive. At Dimension, we have compiled all these new requirements and have generated a detailed gate inspection program/Risk Assessment to provide to clients to ensure that all there machinery/equipment is fully compliant with the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC.
If you wish to avail of this please contact us to discuss your requirements.
In June 2010 the tragic deaths of 2 young children in separate incidents less than 1 week apart only served to highlight the safety issues facing the European gate automation industry. All automatic gate systems by LAW must be installed in compliance with the Machinery Directive MD2006/42/EC and supporting standards as highlighted by recent safety advisories.
All Manufacturers and installers of automatic gate systems should take all necessary steps to meet compliance with the Machinery Directive to ensure their completed products are safe.
To aid manufacturers & installers in meeting the requirements for directive compliance, a harmonised product standard for gates was produced in 2003. The standard BS-EN13241-1:2003 provides an umbrella platform for creating a compliant gate product. The umbrella platform refers to supporting standards which contain information and requirements for various aspects of the gates performance & design
Index of Standards
BS-EN 13241-1 makes reference to the following standards:-
- BS-EN 12453:2001 – Industrial, commercial and garage doors and gates. Safety in use of power operated doors. Requirements.
- BS-EN 12445:2001 – Industrial, commercial and garage doors and gates. Safety in use of power operated doors. Test methods.
- BS-EN 12978:2003 – Industrial, commercial and garage doors and gates. Safety devices for power operated doors and gates. Requirements and test methods.
- BS-EN 1760-2:2001 – Safety of machinery. Pressure sensitive protective devices. General principles for the design and testing of pressure sensitive edges and pressure sensitive bars.
- BS-EN 12604:2000 – Industrial, commercial and garage doors and gates. Mechanical aspects. Requirements.
- BS-EN 12605:2000 – Industrial, commercial and garage doors and gates. Mechanical aspects. Test methods.